What is the Systems Engineering (SE) Leadership Certificate?
An SE Leadership Certificate is often an entryway towards a full master’s degree in systems engineering, but one that infuses the principles of good leadership with the technical skills of advanced engineering. A certificate also caters to individuals who are already in the workforce and require additional training to adapt to changes in their job requirements or are seeking to attain knowledge while in their jobs.
Offered by our Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering, the online graduate certificate in Systems Engineering Leadership consists of four courses (12 credit hours) in the systems engineering field. The required courses are:
- ESI-5510 Fundamentals of Systems Engineering
- ESI 5536 Model Based Systems Engineering and Simulation
- ESI 5353 Engineering Risk Analysis & Decision Making w/ Uncertainty
- EIN 5184 Systems Engineering Leadership
Why pursue a graduate certificate in Systems Engineering (SE) Leadership?
Many professional engineers discover an advanced degree in Systems Engineering can help supercharge their career prospects. Additionally, the unique fusion of leadership skills with technical savvy sets this program apart from other systems engineering certificate offerings. For those just finishing up a bachelor’s in engineering or others not ready to commit to a full master's degree program at this time, the online Systems Engineering Leadership Certificate program may be the perfect match.
Advanced work in systems engineering—and specifically in the leadership aspects of the degree—can give you the technical start and management coursework you need to pursue upward moves in your engineering career. The certificate program also gets you started on earning a full master’s degree in systems engineering if you are interested in the full degree. There are many advantages to earning this certificate or using it to jump-start your master’s degree path:
- The graduate certificate in SE Leadership offers you an opportunity to dip your toe in the water and complete 3 of the 7 core Master of Science in Systems Engineering (MSSE) program courses and 1 tech elective.
- Completing the SE Leadership graduate certificate accomplishes 40% of the requirements for the full non-thesis course-based MSSE degree (10 courses, 30 credit hours).
- While earning your graduate certificate, you will be in courses with many other graduate students within the MSSE program, and see and hear firsthand about the MS program.
- The graduate certificate offers you a low-risk, economical entry, getting you one step closer to achieving a full engineering master’s degree.
- Most students who begin a graduate certificate continue to finish the full MS degree because they realize graduate school is not as far out of reach as they once thought.
The skills you learn for your SE Leadership Certificate will empower you to make decisions that inspire more efficient and effective engineering projects. The program is 100% online and courses are taught asynchronously so that students can pursue the certificate and continue their busy lifestyles.
CNN ranks Systems Engineering as one of the top 50 jobs in the U.S (in terms of pay and quality of life), and the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a faster-than-average 10-percent growth rate in employment opportunities for Industrial engineers, including System Engineers, by 2026. (Hired.com)
Systems Engineering Leadership Certificate Faculty
Daniel Georgiadis, Ph.D., Director of Systems Engineering
David C. Gross, Ph.D., Systems Engineering Faculty
For more information, please contact us at:
Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
Daniel Georgiadis, Ph.D.
Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
Tuition & Fees
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in engineering or related engineering discipline (computer science, mathematics, applied mathematics, physics or applied physics).
In general, the following criteria will be used for admissions:
- GPA of 2.5/4.0 or greater
- One (1) Letter of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume or a CV
- Unofficial transcripts can be submitted with the certificate application; International applicants must include an English translation.
Graduate Certificate Application
Submit the online Systems Engineering Leadership Certificate Application Form (forms-db.com) prior to completion of the 2nd course required for the certificate.
Admission and completion of a graduate-level certificate program does not guarantee admission to a master’s or specialist degree program. Students may, however, apply up to 12 semester hours of credit earned toward the master’s or specialist degree with approval.
Application Policy for the Systems Engineering Leadership Graduate Certificate
- B.S Students / Undergraduates: Ineligible to apply to the certificate program
- B.S./M.S. Pathway students: BS/MS pathways students should wait to take certificate classes until they have matriculated as a graduate student if they are interested in the certificate as well. After matriculation to the master’s program, students must apply for the certificate program, via the SE Leadership Certificate application form before they complete their second course.
- Graduate students: Current graduate students must apply for the certificate program, via the SE Leadership Certificate application form, prior to completing the second course that is part of the certificate program.
- Non-Degree Seeking Students: Students who are not already enrolled in a graduate degree-seeking program, but wish to complete the certificate, must apply as graduate non-degree seeking. Students must have a bachelor’s degree in STEM field to be eligible. Students must also apply directly to the SE Leadership certificate, via the SE Leadership Certificate application form.