Engineering LLC at FSU – Accepting the Challenge!
WHAT: The Engineering Living-Learning Community (LLC) at Florida State University (FSU) is designed to strengthen students’ first year of college while fostering a sense of community. Engineering LLC participants learn the skills necessary to become effective engineering students and build a solid foundation to successfully complete an engineering degree. If you’re attending FAMU, check out the Engineering LLC at FAMU.
WHO: The Engineering LLC at FSU is for FSU students who have an interest in pursuing careers in biomedical, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental, industrial and mechanical engineering.
BENEFITS: Connect with like-minded students and faculty as soon as you arrive at FSU and get the foundation you need to excel in engineering. Research at FSU and nationwide has shown that higher percentages of LLC students remain in college and graduate in four years than those of their non-LLC classmates.
The Engineering LLC at FSU will set you up to succeed as an engineering student in any of the five FAMU-FSU Engineering departments:
- Take the one-credit First-Year Engineering Lab (FYEL) course in the fall at the e-school building as a group cohort along with FAMU pre-engineering students
- Take the new 300-level engineering general education course that counts as a writing and social sciences requirement for graduation, “Interdisciplinary Perspectives on the Global Grand Challenges of Engineering.”
These course requirements will put you on the pathway to success as a FAMU-FSU Engineering student. You will also have the opportunity to consider becoming a part of the:
- New FAMU-FSU National Academy of Engineering Grand Challenges Scholars Program
- FSU Global Citizenship Certificate
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
- Undergraduate programming and learning assistant opportunities
At a Glance
Location: Magnolia Hall on the FSU campus (Students must submit a Fall-Spring housing contract before the system will let you apply.)
Theme: Engaging with global grand challenges while pursuing an engineering degree
Number of students: 30-38 per cohort/year
Features include: Preparation for an engineering career focused on solving society’s grandest challenges; learning together as a community to think and write like engineers; leadership, research, community engagement, and employment opportunities
Eligible Majors: Pre-engineering majors or students intending to major in engineering preferred
Are you right for the LLC?
How do we create a vibrant community of engaged first-year students who will succeed as engineers?
We encourage any first-year college student who wants to pursue an engineering major to apply! The Engineering LLC will aim to create a diverse cohort of incoming students each year who are passionate about engineering and care about solving big challenges.
To achieve this, ideal candidates for the Engineering LLC at FSU are individuals who:
- Plan to pursue an engineering major (those interested in pursuing a major in engineering should become familiar with the pre-engineering requirements)
- Are self-motivated
- Are interested in understanding/working to solve grand challenges
How To Apply
To explore other LLCs and learn how to apply, visit the FSU LLC page.
Contact Kassie Ernst, Ph.D., First-Year Engineering Faculty and Engineering LLC at FSU Faculty Director.