The Department of Mechanical Engineering is proud to offer graduate and doctoral programs in Mechanical Engineering.
Candidates for the Master of Science and the Doctor of Philosophy programs in Mechanical Engineering at the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering must first meet the general graduate admission requirements of either Florida A&M University or Florida State University.
I. APPLICATION DEADLINE
- JANUARY 15 - Deadline for Priority Assistantship Consideration
- APRIL 1 - Final Deadline
- OCTOBER 1 - Final Deadline
- The Department reviews all applications for assistantship opportunities. If you miss the January 15 deadline you will still be considered for an assistantship.
- There is no additional application for assistantship consideration.
- Applicants should follow the Department's application deadline and not the general university deadline.
- All application materials (including all supporting documents) MUST be submitted by the application deadline.
- The Department reserves the right to deny or cancel any application that is not complete by the application deadline.
- No late applications will be accepted.
II. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or any engineering discipline, applied biochemistry, chemistry, computer science, materials science, mathematics, applied mathematics, physics and applied physics. If you do not have an BS degree in engineering or in one of the approved science fields listed above you may not be eligible for admission to the graduate program. If you have any questions please contact the Graduate Studies Program Administrator (Breda Arnell) prior to applying for admission.
Students without a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering but with a degree in an approved field may be required to complete remedial coursework in Mechanical Engineering as a condition of admission (See Requirements for Non-Majors)
- Minimum 3.00 upper-division GPA
- US Applicants: Unofficial GPA Calculation Worksheet
- International Applicants: The Office of Admissions will calculate GPA's for international applicants.
- Minimum Verbal Score: 150
- Minimum Quantitative Score: 155
- GRE waiver request form
English Proficiency Score (International Students)
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: Applicants with English proficiency scores below the minimum requirement are not eligible for admission. If you require additional English language training, you may want to consider enrolling at the Center for Intensive English Studies.
- Minimum TOEFL iBT: 80
- Minimum TOEFL: 550
- Minimum ILETS: 6.5
- Minimum MELAB: 77 (FSU applicants only)
III. ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR NON-ENGINEERING MAJORS
In addition to the general requirements for admission, non-majors (students without a degree in mechanical engineering) will need to show evidence of exposure to the following core mechanical engineering disciplines and/or equivalent coursework:
Statics, Dynamics, Mechanical Systems
Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics
The Admissions Committee will review the student's transcripts and determine if the student has taken this material (or a portion of it) as part of his/her previous coursework, and assign credit accordingly. If the student does not have exposure to one or more of the core disciplines, the committee will require the student to take corresponding coursework in the deficient areas as a condition of admission. These courses will be considered remedial and will not count toward the student's degree program requirements.
IV. GRADUATE APPLICATION
The FAMU-FSU College of Engineering is a joint college serving two state universities: Florida A&M University and the Florida State University. Prospective students may apply to the Department of Mechanical Engineering through either university.
FAMU applicants must submit all application materials to the School of Graduates Studies and Research. FSU applicants must submit all application materials including supporting documents and letters of recommendation through the Online Graduate Application.
V. SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
The following supporting documents must be submitted in order for your application to be considered complete. FSU applicants must upload all required supporting documents through the online application. FAMU applicants may mail their supporting documents with their application or submit them by email to the Graduate Studies Program Administrator. Please submit only the requested documents. DO NOT submit any other extraneous documents such as certificates, awards or publications. These items should be listed in your resume/cv, but please do not include them as additional pages.
An official transcript from each college or university attended must be submitted to the university. International applicants must include an English translation. Official transcripts must be mailed directly to the university. DO NOT mail official transcripts to the Department. Any official transcripts mailed to the department will be invalidated and not accepted.
Florida A&M University
- Florida A&M University
School of Graduate Studies and Research
515 Orr Drive
Suite 469 Tucker Hall
Tallahassee, FL 32307-4800
Florida State University
- The Florida State University
Office of Admissions
282 Champions Way
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2400
Official GRE Score Report
- Request official GRE score report from ETS
- Institutional Code for FAMU: 5215
- Institutional Code for FSU: 5219
- GRE waiver request form
Official English Proficiency Score Report
- Request official English proficiency score report from ETS, MELAB or IELTS.
- TOEFL Institutional Code for FAMU: 5215
- TOEFL Institutional Code for FSU: 5219
Statement of Purpose
- Briefly describe your qualifications for graduate school and your long-term goals. Tell us about why you're interested in Mechanical Engineering and what drives you to pursue a graduate degree in our field.
- Clearly specify your research interests (e.g. Robotics). Our major research activities are focused in four primary areas: Dynamic Systems and Controls (including mechatronics and robotics), Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer, Materials Science, and Sustainable Energy Systems. See our research page for more information.
- Include any faculty members you are interested in working with and which areas of research you believe closely match your experience and interests.
- Provide a detailed resume or CV.
Letters of Recommendation
- Submit three letters of recommendation. The letters should be from individuals qualified to evaluate your academic performance/potential or relevant work experience. If you are applying to Florida State University, your letters of recommendation MUST be submitted electronically through the recommendations section of the online application.
Florida Residency Form
- If you are a Florida resident, you must complete the Florida Residency Affidavit even if you were previously designated a Florida Resident by the University. If you do not complete this form, you will be classified as a non-Florida resident for tuition purposes.
- Florida A&M University Residency Form (More Info)
- Florida State University Residency Form
Certification of Financial Responsibility (CFR)
- The university is required by U.S. federal regulations to verify the financial resources of each international applicant prior to issuing the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20). All international applicants must complete this form even if you are anticipating financial support from the Department. Please note that the disclosure of available funds will not disqualify or limit any international applicant from receiving an assistantship or any other financial support from the Department.
VI. APPLICATION STATUS AND ADMISSION DECISION
FAMU applicants should contact the School of Graduates Studies and Research to check the status of their application. Please allow at least 10 business days before requesting a status update. The final admission decision will be sent via email.
FSU applicants can check the status of their application online at https://admissions.fsu.edu/StatusCheck/. Please allow at least 10 business days for new information to be reflected on the Online Status Check. The final admission decision will also be posted to the Online Status Check.
VII. FINANCIAL AID
Admission into the graduate program and the awarding of financial aid are considered to be separate processes. Notification of admission may proceed notification of financial aid.
Don't Forget to Apply to one of our Partner Universities First!
The FAMU-FSU College of Engineering Ph.D. programs offer competitive funding packages for newly admitted students. Please visit our graduate funding page to find out more about assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships.
If you have any questions about graduate studies at the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering, please contact us for more information or to schedule a visit.
Combined BS to MS
Please visit the Combined BS to MS page to learn how you can earn your bachelor's and master's degree in less time at FAMU-FSU COE.