Undergraduate engineering students discover how research involvement that can catapult their academic and industry careers
The FAMU-FSU College of Engineering launched a new live lecture series this month that aims to increase undergraduate engineering students’ interest and participation in hands-on laboratory research. The series, called “Undergrad in the Lab,” features research-active faculty from the college explaining the technology behind their current research and highlighting ways that engineering undergraduates from Florida A&M and Florida State universities can get involved.
The series is the brainchild of several engineering department chairs, who want to see more undergraduate students in the lab. This first-hand exposure to a professional research setting can spark an interest in students to pursue an advanced engineering degree and perhaps become engineering faculty themselves. In fact, increasing the number of undergraduates that go on to pursue these advanced degrees is a major aim of the college’s administration.
Initially, the series will be presented as a live Zoom lecture due to coronavirus physical distancing guidelines. As the pandemic situation diminishes, the series may become a live lecture on the engineering campus. Events are free and open to all, but do require advance registration at the links below. Past lectures are available on the FAMU-FSU Engineering YouTube channel.
Upcoming “Undergrad in the Lab” events:
- July 7, 2020: Superconducting Technologies for Electric Aircraft with Sastry Pamidi, Ph.D., M.B.A., electrical & computer engineering VIEW RECORDING
- July 21, 2020 | 4:00 pm: Engineering Complex Fluids with S. Ramakrishnan, Ph.D., chemical & biomedical engineering VIEW RECORDING
- August 5, 2020 | 4:00 pm: Synthesis of multifunctional polymers for strong tissue adhesion and drug delivery with Hoyong Chung, Ph.D., chemical & biomedical engineering VIEW RECORDING
- August 18, 2020 | 4:00 pm: Using bacteria to remove contaminants from drinking water sources with Youeng Tang, Ph.D., civil & environmental engineering VIEW RECORDING
- September 1, 2020 | 4:00 pm: Trash Talk: Research opportunities in geo-environmental engineering and waste management with Tarek Abichou, Ph.D., civil & environmental engineering VIEW RECORDING
- September 29, 2020 | 4:00 pm: Virtual tour of High Voltage Lab at FSU-CAPS with Peter Cheetham, Ph.D., electrical & computer engineering REGISTER
- October 27, 2020 | 4:00 pm: Bruce Locke, Ph.D., chemical & biomedical engineering REGISTER
- November 10, 2020 | 4:00 pm: Ralm Ricarte, Ph.D., chemical & biomedical engineering REGISTER
For more information on this series, please contact Tisha Keller, Marketing & Communications Director