Computer Labs updated 01/2013
Logging into the Engineering College’s Public Access Computers
The College of Engineering operates several computer labs/classrooms for the benefit of our students, faculty and staff.
Only Engineering Students, Faculty, Staff and preauthorized guests may use the public lab computers here at the College. You will need an Engineering account to access these computers. Newly enrolled students need to create an account with the assistance of the CMS UNIX System Administrators. CMS is located in ‘A’ building, third floor, suite A332. If you are a returning student, you should already have an account with a user name and a password. If you have forgotten either your username or password, you will need to come to CMS in person with a picture ID to verify your account and/or change your password. You can only use the username and password provided by CMS to login to public access computers.
Engineering Student Labs
- Room A205 is our primary Computer Lab. It is generally available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, during academic terms. This lab contains approximately 49 computers for public use. There are also two large printers available for printing in this lab.
- Room B114 is a large multimedia classroom and computer lab. This room contains 60 student computers and two printers. This room is generally available as an open lab during school days, between 8:00am and 8:00pm, except when classes are meeting in the room.
- Room A144 is a smaller multimedia classroom and computer lab. In addition to scheduled College classes, tutorials and study sessions are occasionally scheduled here. It contains 25 student computers, a printer, and network lab equipment. This room is not usually available for unsupervised use.
- Room P412 is a large multimedia classroom and computer lab. This room contains about 50 student computers. This room is generally available during the school day, between 8:00am and 6:00pm, except when classes are in session.
- In addition, there are a number of public computers located in the Atrium and Connector (middle section of Buildings A and B).
- COE IT User Policy
- No food or drink allowed
- No reserving of computers for more than 15 minutes
- No horseplay
- No installing programs on the lab computers
- No sharing of your account with others
Violation of these rules may lead to suspension of your Engineering account.
Our public/lab computers include a suite of Engineering applications used in the teaching/learning process. Please consult the software chart software chart for a list of available software.
Lab Computer Useful Information
- My Documents
- Any documents or files you save here will be saved to the ‘My Documents’ folder on your "Z" drive. This is located on the UNIX Server (it is your "home directory").
- My Computer
- Clicking here will allow you to access your "Z" drive and the local hard drive. You may only save to the F drive, My Documents, or the floppy drive. There is a file space quota on your "Z" drive.
- Printing in the lab
- When you print a document you will be asked by the program which printer to use. You may print to any of the lab printers in the print window printer drop-down list. Please be aware that there is a print quota. The print quota determines how many sheets of print you are allowed. Once you have exceeded this amount no further printing can be done until paper is added to your quota (see Print Quota for more information).
- You may check your print quota by clicking the link in the menu above under 'Engineering Accounts | Print Quotas'
- Logging off the computer
- Click on the start button at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- In the drop-down menu select log-off and then click OK.
What if I need help?
- Call the CMS Help Desk, ext. 6446 from within the College or (850) 410-6446 from outside the College.
- If you are in:
- A205 Computer Lab - Use the lab phone which auto-dials the CMS Help Desk for you.
- Elsewhere in the building - Call ext. 6446 from any hall phone.